Mmmm, bananas and peanut butter are a classic. These peanut butter banana bars are like a peanut butter banana sandwich to go, with the added goodness of oats.
We love these bars as an on-the-go breakfast, or a pick me up in the afternoon. Bake a batch on Sunday, and enjoy for the whole week! This recipe makes 12 bars.
- 3 ½ cups oats
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cups unsweetened nut milk
- ⅓ cup peanut butter*
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 chia egg (or regular egg)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a blender, blend 2 cups of the oats until they resemble flour.
- In a bowl, mix blended oats, remaining oats, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the rest of the wet ingredients one by one.
- Poor into a greased 8×8 pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until top has browned a fork goes through clean.
- Store in an airtight container on countertop for 3 days or in refrigerator for up to 6 days.
Nutrients (for 1 bar of 12)**: 167 calories, 6.9 g fat (1 g saturated, 2.3 g polyunsaturated, 0.9 g monounsaturated, 0 g trans), 0 mg cholesterol, 252.1 mg sodium, 35.2 mg potassium, 23.4 g carbs, 4.1 g fibre, 0.6 g sugar, 5 g protein, 0.9% vitamin A, 0.1% vitamin C, 5% calcium, 8% iron.
*if using an unsweetened nut butter, we recommend you add a couple tablespoons of maple syrup or honey, as these bar are already not very sweet
**calculated using unsweetened vanilla almond milk, a chia egg, and regular kraft smooth peanut butter.