If you hadn’t guessed, we love basil. That’s why we added it to our fresh hummus – and one complimentary taste led to another, until we had replaced the traditional tahini with pine nuts for a fresh pesto taste.
This pesto is the perfect dip to pair with fresh veggies and whole grain pitas in the summer. We love it as a snack, or on sandwiches for a bit of basil to go.
- 1 ¾ cup chickpeas (1 19 oz can)
- 1 cup fresh basil, packed
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp salt
- Lightly toast pine nuts by using a non-stick pan to heat them over medium for a few minutes, stirring often.
- Throw everything in a blender or food processor and mix it up until smooth. Add a bit more water if necessary to reach desired consistency.
- Scoop it out and eat it up! Refrigerate for up to a week.
Nutrition (for ¼ of recipe): 205 calories, 13.3 g fat (1.4 g saturated, 0.8 g polyunsaturated, 5 g monounsaturated, 0 trans), 0 mg cholesterol, 246.6 g sodium, 44.3 g potassium, 16.1 g carbs, 4.3 g fibre, 2.2 g sugar, 6.8 g protein, 18% vitamin A, 7.4% vitamin C, 2.6% calcium, 6.5% iron.